Sunday, June 9, 2013

When Shipping Pyrex Goes Wrong

One of the most convenient ways to add to my Pyrex collection is shopping online.   In the online Pyrex market the only thing I have to be selective about is how much I want to spend on items.   I've purchased from a variety of places including ebay, shopgoodwill.com and even Instagram.  All of which have been very lucrative and vital in the growth of my Pyrex collection.    Out of the dozens of items I've purchased this way, only once have I suffered any damaged items.   But once is heart breaking enough.  The item I lost was a Horizon Blue #403 2 1/2qt mixing bowl.  Luckily, the 401 and the 402 made it in one piece still.

Often when Pyrex is broken in transit, it's the fault of the shipper, however in this case, I do not believe that to be true.   I'm fairly certain that my USPS postal worker treated it like a kickball.  She doesn't tend to show us as tenants a lot of respect with any of our mail and the item was very well bubble wrapped.  Here's what I found when I opened up my package: 

broken pyrex,  horizon blue, mixing bowl, pyrex, vintage pyrex, white pyrex, blue pyrex, blue, white, broken, sad pyrex

Luckily, this was the first time I opted for insurance on since I've started buying online.  The cost of the item and the shipping was covered, but I haven't had the heart to bring myself to place another online order since.   In the meantime,  I'll be spending my time weeding my collection of items I'm not truly in love with.


No comments:

Post a Comment